Thursday, June 12, 2008

Literary Meme

This is my first meme on this blog! I haven't done memes on previous blogs too much, but this one looks fun! Thanks to Janna from The Joy of Home for tagging me!

Who is your all-time favorite author and why?
This is a hard one! Sad to say, but I haven't read as widely as I wish I had. Growing up on the mission field, we couldn't really afford to order lots of (heavy!) books, so my choice was limited. I would probably choose Lucy Maud Montgomery. While I do enjoy "heavy" books, I find Montgomery's to be pure delight. I appreciate that her books are true-to-life and honest, but I also like that they're simple and, well, quiet. I also feel like I understand her more since visiting PEI in Canada last year. Seeing the places that inspired her and shaped her life made me appreciate her all the more.

Who was your first favorite author and why? Do you still consider him/her to be among your favorites?
Among the books I *did* have to read when I was growing up were the "In Grandma's Attic" books by Arleta Richardson. I loved the simple, straightforward writing, and read the books over and over. They are definitely books that I will share with my children (if I have any!).

Who is the most recent addition to your list of favorite authors, and why?
Prior to 2005, I had never read a book by Charles Dickens, but I have come to love his work. When I first started reading his books, I was so bored for about the first half of the book, but when things finally start to fall into place, I can't put his books down!

If someone asked you who your favorite authors were right now, which authors would first pop out of your mouth?
C. S. Lewis, Charles Dickens, Jane Porter, Jane Austen, L.M. Montgomery. L.M. Alcott, Regina Doman.

My Tagees:

Jessica: Reflections of a Princess

Rebecca: flowershop girl

Keri: Quaint & Quirky

(That's all I can think of! :-S)

Rules

  • Link to the person that tagged you.
  • Post the rules somewhere in your meme.
  • Answer the questions.
  • Tag six people in your post.
  • Let the tagees know they’ve been chosen by leaving a comment on their blog.
  • Let the tagger know your entry is posted.

4 comments:

Naomi Elle Schwartz said...

Hello April!

Just wanted to let you know that you're on my blogroll (referred from YLCF.org) and I enjoy your blog very much! Especially so now that I've read your literary tastes. They mirror my own. I hadn't read anything by Dickens until just a few months ago. Now I am enthralled when I read his works.

And L.M. Montgomery. Oh my! Her books are restful and wonderful and just pure bliss!

And so, I have a question for you! My family is planning a vacation to PEI in September. Do you have any travel tips or favorite places that you would share?

Thank you & God bless!
Amethyst

Jessica said...

On the dream house note:

We're not moving, but my parents are considering it as an investment property. Especially considering we're not growing anymore land. I told my mom they should redo it and turn it into a scrapbooking retreat house. (The only problem is there's only one bathroom!)

It is one of those houses you can dream about though. I mean, it's even got a butler's pantry and an upstairs balcony!

April said...

Amethyst,

How exciting that you're going to PEI! It was truly wonderful, and I'm sure you'll have a great time! I went in September, too, and it worked out really well because technically, it's after the summer season, and you can get into the parks and locations at a reduced rate.

My favorite things that we did were definitely going out to the Cavendish beach (Prince Edward Island National Park) and watching the sunset. The red cliffs, and nothing but ocean...beautiful! I also really enjoyed just taking time to walk through the fields and along the beach. Depending on how much time you have, I would recommend driving up the coast to the northwestern point of the island. Just seeing the sights along the coastline was worth it.

We stayed at the Avonlea Cottages in Cavendish. I don't know if you've made your lodging reservations yet or how big your family is, but it's worth looking into. On the off-season, a 3-bedroom cottage cost us about $80 a night.

As far as travel tips...I'd suggest making sure you have time just to relax and enjoy the beauty of the island. All the L.M. Montgomery tourist sites are fun (her birthplace, Green Gables, Avonlea Village, etc.), and you should definitely go to them, but the natural beauty is just as wonderful.

I hope this helps!

Naomi Elle Schwartz said...

Wow! Thanks so much, April! That's precisely the kind of travel tips that will help me. :) Thank you again!
-Amethyst